Skip to content

Dear God…Sometimes Life Just Kinda Stinks

Today was one of those days, and no, this is NOT an April Fool’s Day joke.

We’ve been dealing with anger issues with Motzy lately.  He would do really well…and then suddenly snarl at one of us.

We tried everything…reprimanding him, putting him in his kennel for a timeout, and anything else you can imagine.   We even had our own private Veterinary advisor Jen – the daycare baby’s Mom.  She talked us through many ideas for training and disciplining him.

But today we had to say goodbye.

He went after Gabi last Thursday night when she was doing nothing more than snuggling with him – like they had every night for the past 7 months.  He left 8 indents on her hands along with a couple scrapes.  He didn’t break skin, but she froze in fear.  Motzy was immediately put in his kennel where we didn’t hear a peep from him until morning.

Today he went after me twice.  This morning leaving a few teeth indents on my hand and this afternoon I was saved by his cone.  He has snarled at us before and had attempted to bite but hadn’t connected.  We had him neutered on Friday with the hope that it might help things.  Unfortunately it didn’t, he actually was worse.

We had to make the decision today, and even though we knew we absolutely couldn’t have a dog that snapped at any of us or the two little daycare babies, it was still hard to say goodbye.  He was the sweetest dog 95% of the time.  But we couldn’t take a chance on the other 5%, especially with his episodes escalating.

I told Gabi before we left that maybe this was just all part of God’s plan.  Maybe Motzy has a wonderful new home to go to where he’ll be able to do all the things English Setters are supposed to do – go bird hunting and get lots of exercise each day.   Maybe that owner wouldn’t have been able to take him when he was a pup.  Maybe we were supposed to give him lots of love for 7 months so that he could eventually meet up with his permanent owner.

For now Jen was able to find a foster home.  She’s hoping to find him a permanent home soon.  I imagine a farm where maybe he could live in a barn and run free.

But for today, we kissed him goodbye and told him how much we loved him.  He’s spending the night at the Vet Clinic awaiting his ride.

Whatever God’s plan may be for Motzy, or for us…

Sometimes life just kinda stinks.

Patty O

Advertisements
10 Comments Post a comment
  1. Sheila #

    Oh I am soo sorry Patty, it is so tough but you made the correct decision. We have all loved the stories of Motzy, and you did give him a lot of love…but he obviously just needs something else. Hugs to you and Gabi, and this is just God’s plan…Sheila

    Like

    April 1, 2014
    • Thank you Sheila. I know you understand. Someday we’ll try another dog and I’ll share stories again, but for now I’ll have to write about other things. We’re praying for a home for Motzy.

      Like

      April 2, 2014
  2. Oh Patty!!! As if you haven’t had enough to deal with. I hope all will be well for both your furry and non furry family members. So difficult but you made the right choice. Love you!

    Like

    April 2, 2014
    • Thank you so much Karen. A sad loss for sure, but we pray for only the best for him. Love you too.

      Like

      April 2, 2014
  3. Cementgirl1 #

    Oh Patty, Tim, and Gabi

    So very sorry to hear this. Life does indeed stnk sometimes.

    Pam

    Sent from my iPhone

    >

    Like

    April 2, 2014
    • Thanks so much – yes we have those days and this sure was one.

      Like

      April 2, 2014
  4. Cari #

    Oh no! But Motzy was such a sweet boy! It’s for the best though…

    Like

    April 2, 2014
    • Thanks so much Cari. Yes sometimes we have to make those hard choices.

      Like

      April 2, 2014
  5. I fully understand how difficult a situation this is. Grandson, Kash was recently bitten my a new doggie his daddy got for him. (No antagonism) Kash now has a permanent scar on his cheek at the ripe old age of 2 1/2 and doggie had to go bye bye. Very tough for all concerned. We just love our babies MORE than our animals – and that’s as it should be.

    Like

    April 3, 2014
    • Thank you for sharing your story. Yes, it is tough, but yes, our human family needs to come first!

      Like

      April 4, 2014

Share your thoughts...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Weavings of a Wayfaring Woman

Prose, Poetry, and Musings of a Bush Teacher

Margaret and Helen

Best Friends for Sixty Years and Counting...

Blog of an Artist

Creative Design, home decor, travel and Inspiration

Coffee With Tina

Coffee makes all stories better. Drinking my coffee and lettin' the stories roll.

Humanity777's Blog

The Church of Christ

Bristles & Thread

Home sweet functional home.

An Odd Fashioned Girl

Tiny budget. Big ideas.

Diary of an Aesthete

The Global Pilgrimage of a Modern-Day Aesthete

Oh Twist!

Shining light on a twisted condition...

%d bloggers like this: